Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 6 bananas
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup light cream, warm
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- To make pastry, combine flour, sugar and butter in a food processor.
- Process until the consistency of fine meal.
- Add beaten egg; continue to process just until dough starts to come together.
- Gather into a ball, wrap and refrigerate for one hour or place in freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface or roll out between two sheets of plastic wrap to an 11-inch circle.
- Dough is sticky and falls apart easily; just patch together and fit into a nine-inch flan pan with removable bottom; trim edges. (If you don't have a flan pan, a pie plate can be used.) Chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake pastry at 375 degrees for 12 minutes until light golden in color.
- Thinly slice five of the bananas and arrange on bottom of pastry shell.
- Mash the remaining banana and combine with warm cream, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla.
- Pour over banana layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 - 40 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let pie cool slightly.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar until meringue is stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue over warm pie; bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes or until browned.
- Let cool; refrigerate until serving time.