Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sounds strange, right? Actually, they're delicious! The subtle hint of banana doesn't really add sweetness, only an exotic taste. You must try this! This makes about four normal-people servings, or two hungry people servings.
- Peel potatoes. Place in a large pot of salted cold water. Bring to a boil.
- Boil 25 minutes, or until tender. They should provide no resistance when poked with a fork.
- During the last five minutes of boiling, peel your banana. Take a bite (a whole banana is a little overwhelming, but a banana with a big bite taken out does just right). Drop the rest of the banana in the water with the potatoes and let it boil with them for the last five minutes. This softens it.
- Drain the potatoes and banana and place in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and a little half and half and cream with a hand mixer. Add half and half as needed to get a creamy texture.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. These are great with lots of fresh cracked black pepper.
My all time favorite restaurant (which is a Caribbean grill) makes this to go with many of their meat dishes. I asked them the last time I went how the potato to banana ration was and this was about right. Making it tonight to go with turkey breast cutlets. You are exactly right, it sounds odd, but its SO good! Its one of those "dont knock it til you try it!" things.