Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Lowfat but nice and creamy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- Combine 1 cup milk, sugar, and egg yolks in a small heavy saucepan; stir well with a whisk.
- Place over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 8 minutes or until mixture reaches 180° and is slightly thickened (do not boil). Remove from heat.
- Pour custard into a cool bowl; place over ice water to cool completely.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk, dry milk, and vanilla.
- Stir in custard, banana, and syrup. Cover and chill.
- Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.
Lots of flavor. I used very ripe bananas. Their skins were completely black.