Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A wonderful Mandazi (south african fritter) by Alan Coxon
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, coarsely chopped
- 750 ml milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500 ml self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- basil leaves
- icing sugar
- Place the egg, bananas, milk, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder and sugar in a blender or food processor. Whiz to make a smooth batter with a creamy, pourable consistency (if it is too thick add a little extra milk). Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or deep fat fryer and carefully fry spoonfuls of the mixture for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve with grilled pineapple, chilli syrup and deep fried basil leaves.
I really liked these, I thought the mixture might be too runny but they cooked up lovely. I shallow fried so mine were more like pancakes than fritters but still nice. Toddler DD enjoyed these too, didn't serve with the basil but with a bit of maple syrup for a tasty brekky!