Recipe by Juenessa
A moist and flavorful banana-nut muffin with a distinctly tropical twist. If you really want to splurge, omit the applesauce and increase the butter to 1 stick (1/2 cup). This recipe is very versatile. Add chocolate chips instead of the nuts. Use pecans or walnuts in place of the macadamias or add in coconut.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped
- turbinado sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease twelve muffin cups or line with muffin papers.
- Sift first 4 ingredients into large bowl.
- Combine bananas, both sugars, butter, applesauce, milk and egg in medium bowl.
- Mix into dry ingredients.
- Fold in half of nuts.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining macadamia nuts and a little turbinado sugar (the sugar is optional).
- Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer muffins to rack and cool.