Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are delicious with macadamia nuts, but are also very good with the more traditional pecans or walnuts. This recipe is less sweet than some muffin recipes - which I think makes them perfect for breakfast. Try them plain, or cut in half and toast in a toaster oven with butter.
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 to 3 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup chopped macadamia nuts (or walnuts or pecans)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 400. Grease muffin cups, or line with paper baking cups.
- Beat mashed banana, oil, milk, nuts, and egg with a spoon in a medium bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients just until moistened (batter will be lumpy, so don't be tempted to overbeat).
- Spoon batter into muffin pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes at 400, just until golden brown. Immediately remove from cups.
Mmm! These are so good! I was looking for a banana nut muffin recipe using whole wheat flour and this one hit the spot. I used pecans and canola oil (that's what I had on hand) and added a dash of vanilla extract for flavor. I also cut the oil in half (1/4 cup) and sprinkled some oats on top. They came out great!
I was worried about the thick, lumpy batter, but you were right, they turn out! I made mine with pecans but I am making them with macadamias next. A nice change from the basic banana muffin!
What a nice breakfast muffin! I loved the flavor of the nuts with the bananas. I added some coconut to mine for some Hawaiian flair. Delicious! Thanks for sharing with us Appley! Made for Zaar Stars 12/2008 Linda