Recipe by Evamyth
This recipe is from Julia Aitken's Baker's Secret Quick and Easy Baking. It is always a hit. I use margarine and as many bananas as I need to use up (1 to 3 usually). Sometimes I add a couple of dashes of cinnamon too. It's as good cold as it is warm.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine (at room temperature)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Grease a 8-1/2" x 4-1/2" (6 cup/1. 5 L) loaf pan.
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the bananas and dissolved baking soda.
- The mix will look yucky at this point.
- Don't worry!
- In a second bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Gradually add flour to the banana mix until well combined.
- Spoon into loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Add the walnuts now if you are using them.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.