1/13 Photos of Banana/Lemon Sensation
1 hr 20 mins
TOOLBELT DIVA's Note:
BET YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE PIECE! This recipe is the most delicious I have ever made, or developed. Of course the basis for a good Banana Bread was originally developed during the days when our ancestors used the palms of their hands to measure flour, and plain soda as rising agents. I would not recommend this; how things have changed and improved, and I am glad they did. Banana Bread is a staple in our home; unfortunately I must monitor my personal consumption because of health implications. I am happy to share my recipe with you and know you will enjoy it as much as my own family. To increase the number of loaves, simply multiply the recipe accordingly. Because BANANA/LEMON SENSATION freezes so well, I habitually bake these in large quantities; (up to a dozen loaves), preparing and cooking two at a time. Your oven may accommodate more than two loaves at a time, but I have found that any more than two loaves in an oven will result in uneven baking of the product. The loaves at the rear of my oven will overbake while the front loaves are lighter in colour, and will take a little more time for centres to cook. Suggest also making more than one loaf; a family of four will polish off an entire loaf at one sitting, because you can't have just one piece! Better make several, and put a couple away for future consumption. Kids will love the snack after school. You cannot hide anything; the aroma of baking BANANA/LEMON SENSATION tells all.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE LOAF
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup soft butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 lemon rind, of grated
FOR THE LEMON SAUCE
- 1Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- 2Ovens will lose heat immediately the door is opened.
- 3A hint for retaining temperature without heat loss when oven door is first opened is to pre-set the oven to about 50° higher than required.
- 4As soon as pan (s) are put into the oven, close the door and immediately reset to required temperature.
- 5For BANANA/LEMON SENSATION, set the oven to 400°F and drop down to 350°, at the ready.
- 6"Prepare" loaf pan in the usual way using a light cooking/baking spray and light dusting of flour.
- 7Set aside for later use.
- 8In a small bowl, grate the lemon and set aside (If you have an aversion to lemon, skip this step).
- 9In a small saucepan, squeeze the fresh lemon half.
- 10FOR THE LOAF: In a medium-sized bowl, mash bananas well, with a fork.
- 11In a separate bowl, cream butter or margarine with 1 cup sugar.
- 12In a separate bowl, beat eggs really well.
- 13In a large bowl, combine mashed bananas, butter mixture, well-beaten eggs.
- 14Beat again.
- 15NOTE: If you are using a blender or food processor, please be aware of over-spills.
- 16Sift together (if you prefer sifting) flour, baking soda and salt.
- 17(HINT: Because of the lemon sauce, I do not add salt. If you do not use lemon juice, or lemon rind, salt may be added, in the quantity stipulated above) Add banana mixture to flour a quarter at a time, and mix well after each addition, by hand, with a large mixing-spoon.
- 18Scrape batter down sides of the bowl into the flour and mix well.
- 19At this point, add the grated lemon peel and mix well.
- 20You can never mix too much.
- 21Ingredients must be well-combined prior to baking.
- 22Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. (my oven requires the full hour).
- 23Remove from oven and with your cake tester, test for doneness.
- 24Cake tester should come out clean, with no evidence of batter.
- 25Using your cake tester, puncture the loaf, all over the top, but not right through.
- 26While loaf is still hot, carefully spoon the lemon sauce over the surface.
- 27This will seep into the loaf through the punctures and add flavour to the Banana Loaf.
- 28Set on cooling rack until the pan can be handled easily, about 1/2 hour.
- 29Turn the pan over and tap hard on the bottom to loosen the loaf.
- 30Continue cooling baked loaf, until ready to seal and put away, or serve same day.
- 31THE LEMON SAUCE: In a small sauce-pan, over medium heat, combine lemon juice and sugar (or other sweetener) Mix continuously and bring to a boil.
- 32If you have an aversion to lemon, skip this step.
Nutritional Facts for Banana/Lemon Sensation
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.8
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 49.4 mg
- Sodium 239.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: