Recipe by Knitting Granny
Moist, easy, delicious muffins... What could be better? If you love the lemony flavor, add a tsp. or more of freshly grated lemon zest to the liquid ingredients. This makes 2 dozen regular sized muffins or 4 dozen mini muffins - I usually make 1 dozen of the larger and 2 dozen of the smaller.
Top Review by GinaJohnson
Maybe it's me, but the combination of banana, lemon and poppy seeds just doesn't do it for me. These didn't rise well, either. I think more baking powder is needed for the size of the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1/2 tsp. table salt)
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 7⁄8 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and just enough lemon juice to make it slightly runny. Set this glaze aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl mash bananas.
- Add eggs, sugar, buttermilk, lemon juice, canola oil, and poppy seeds.
- Mix liquid ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients and mix just until moistened. Lumps are OK.
- Spray muffin tins by with spray-release and fill each tin a little more than half-way full.
- Bake regular sized muffins for about 24 minutes and mini muffins for about 15 minutes (edges will be light brown and tops will be light golden. Muffins will spring back when lightly touched.).
- Turn out muffins onto cooling rack and brush with glaze while still hot. (I put paper towels under the cooling rack - makes clean-up easier.).