Prep 4 hrs 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is spiced up using Asian Chili Paste - Sambal Belachan - doesn't taste as good if you omit it! Salmon, clams, mussels, etc. may be used in place of the squid.
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste, belachan
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 lb squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 banana leaf
- In a medium, non-reactive bowl, mix shallots, garlic, sambal belachan, vegetable oil, curry powder, cumin, lime juice, salt and pepper. Place squid in the mixture. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.
- Lightly grease the banana leaf. Wrap squid in the leaf, and place on the prepared grill. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, until leaf is slightly charred and squid is opaque.