2 hrs 20 mins
You won't find this delicious condiment in one of those fancy new Heinz coloured squeezy bottles!
My Private Note
cups, a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces sultanas
- 3 ounces onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic (big, fat ones)
- 3 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 1 1/3 cups cider vinegar or 1 1/3 cups malt vinegar
- 4 bananas, very large and extremely ripe and cut into chunks
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 fluid ounces golden syrup or 2 fluid ounces light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1Combine the raisins, onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1/3 cup vinegar in the container of a food processor; process the mixture until smooth, and then transfer the mixture to a large, heavy saucepan.
- 2Add the banana chunks and another 1/3 cup vinegar to the food processor container; process the mixture until smooth and then transfer the banana mixture to the saucepan.
- 3Add the remaining 2/3 cup vinegar, 3 cups water, brown sugar, salt and cayenne pepper.
- 4Bring the mixture in the saucepan to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and cook the ketchup, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1¼ hours.
- 6If the ketchup threatens to stick to the bottom of the pan at any point, add some of the remaining water, up to 1 cup.
- 7Add the corn syrup, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and cloves to the ketchup.
- 8Cook the ketchup over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes longer, or until it is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
- 9Stir in the rum.
- 10Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool a few minutes.
- 11Force the ketchup through a fine sieve to strain it, pressing down hard on the solids.
- 12Remove the ketchup from the heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- 13Store covered, in the refrigerator, for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Ketchup
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 32.1
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 91.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 0.2 g