Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a cookie that my family has been making for a long time. It is incredibly moist and chewy cookie. We sometimes top it with a frosting but it tastes just as great alone.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix shortening, sugar,and eggs well.
- Stir in bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- Blend flour and baking soda. Stir into other ingredients.
- Blend in nuts.(Optional).
- Chill 1 hour. The dough will still be slightly sticky even after chilling.
- For jumbo cookies, drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased baking sheet. For smaller cookies use a teaspoon.
- Bake at 375 for about 7-10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Leave unfrosted or frost with favorite flavored frosting.
These did have a rather cake-like texture, very light and flufffy. But they tasted very good-- kind of like banana bread in cookie form. I substituted gluten-free flour and rice milk.
Really yummy. But it had the texture of a muffin. Next time, I think I'll add some nuts and some oats. Also spraying the spoon with cooking spray before doling out the batter makes it come off the spoon easier. Great recipe though!!