Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is way better than any banana cream pie I’ve ever had. I liked it with whipped cream, my Hubby and Mother liked the cherry topping. I tried this with 2x the bananas and it wasn’t as good…it was mushy.
- 1 pie crust, 9-inch prebaked
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml milk, scalded
- 3 eggs
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 3 medium firm ripe bananas
Optional Jubilee Sauce
- 453.59 g canpitted dark sweet cherries (I used frozen dark sweet cherries plus 1 cup water and boiled them with the sauce)
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 9.85 ml rum extract or 9.85 ml rum flavoring
- Prepare pie-crust, bake and cool.
- Mix sugar, flour, and salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Slowly stir in scalded milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl. Slowly stir in ½ cup of the hot mixture; stir back into the pan. Cook stirring constantly, over medium heat 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens again and mounds softly; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla; cool.
- Peel and slice one banana and place in the bottom of the baked pie-crust. Spread half of the custard over the banana. Repeat with another banana and remaining filling. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator 4-5 hours or until set.
- Just before serving, peel and slice diagonally the remaining banana and arrange in a rosette on the top center of the pie. Top with one or two spoonfuls of the jubilee sauce and/or whipped cream, if desired.
- Serve with remaining sauce, if desired.
- Optional Jubilee Sauce:.
- Drain syrup from cherries into a 1-cup measuring cup; add water to make 1 cup. Set cherries aside.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in cherry liquid.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils 3 minutes.
- Stir in rum extract or flavoring and cherries. Cool.
This was one of 3 pies I made for Thanksgiving, & was one of a handful of newcomer recipes to our holiday table! The cherry sauce was, I think, what made this pie such a big hit ~ At least that's certainly the case with me! Really an outstanding pie! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]