5 hrs 30 mins
This is way better than any banana cream pie I’ve ever had. I liked it with whipped cream, my Hubby and Mother liked the cherry topping. I tried this with 2x the bananas and it wasn’t as good…it was mushy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pie crust, 9-inch prebaked
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 medium firm ripe bananas
Optional Jubilee Sauce
- 1Prepare pie-crust, bake and cool.
- 2Mix sugar, flour, and salt in a medium heavy saucepan. Slowly stir in scalded milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 3Beat eggs in a small bowl. Slowly stir in ½ cup of the hot mixture; stir back into the pan. Cook stirring constantly, over medium heat 3 minutes, or until mixture thickens again and mounds softly; remove from heat.
- 4Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla; cool.
- 5Peel and slice one banana and place in the bottom of the baked pie-crust. Spread half of the custard over the banana. Repeat with another banana and remaining filling. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator 4-5 hours or until set.
- 6Just before serving, peel and slice diagonally the remaining banana and arrange in a rosette on the top center of the pie. Top with one or two spoonfuls of the jubilee sauce and/or whipped cream, if desired.
- 7Serve with remaining sauce, if desired.
- 8Optional Jubilee Sauce:.
- 9Drain syrup from cherries into a 1-cup measuring cup; add water to make 1 cup. Set cherries aside.
- 10Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in cherry liquid.
- 11Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils 3 minutes.
- 12Stir in rum extract or flavoring and cherries. Cool.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Jubilee Pie
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.2
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 267.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g