Your overripe bananas don't need to go to waste anymore. Everyone will go "bananas" for this sweet, delectable jam/sauce on everything from waffles to ice cream, crepes to cake filling. I've never done the full canning routine with this, since it's sealed in the jars while hot, but I suppose you could. Recipe from the Joy of Desserts website, adapted slightly for personal taste.
- Thaw bananas if frozen. (I often store up my overripe bananas in a freezer bag in the freezer until I have enough to make something.).
- Peel bananas, and mash smooth.
- Mix water, lime juice, sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger over medium heat and stir until thickened.
- Add mashed bananas and let cook 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add rum during the last few minutes of cooking.
- Place hot banana jam into sterilized jars. Place lids on and seal.