Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Came up with this one to break in the new (to us) 1950's electric ice cream maker we scored. Have some bananas that needed to be used so here's what we came up with. The secret is dropping the banana into the custard to release all that banana tastiness & then adding the banana chunks in the final minute or two of churning to leave tasty chunks of banana. Serve with http://www.food.com/recipe/wet-walnut-topping-33474 and http://www.food.com/recipe/grams-hot-fudge-sauce-216793 - so folks can add as much as they want. Plan to make again with 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg & grilled pineapple with the wet walnuts. Mmmmm! Prep time doesn't include chilling the custard or ripening ice cream. Cook time doesn't include churning because ice cream makers vary - our cranks this out in 20 minutes.
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 bananas, at least 1 very ripe
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan or double boiler, add the sugar, salt & evaporated milk. Heat until simmering, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low.
- Beat the egg yolks until light & temper with a 1/2 cup of milk mixture, adding the hot milk/sugar mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time, mixing well with each addition.
- Pour the tempered egg back into sugar, salt, evaporated milk mixture & gently cook until the mixture thickens & covers the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let come to a boil as the eggs will cook & curdle. Add the half & half & continue to cook until the mixture thickens again.
- Remove from heat, add the very ripe banana (whole or chunked is fine), vanilla & whipping cream.
- Cool, stirring gently (no need to break up banana). When it cools to room temp, cover & chill in fridge at least 4 hours to overnight. Remove the banana & snack on it (cook's treat).
- Churn in your ice cream maker's canister according to how it works. As it churns, take the remaining bananas, slice & toss with lemon juice & add them in during the final minute or so of churning.
- Serve immediately or ripen several hours in the freezer - banana flavor increases with ripening. Enjoy.