Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
David Herbert's recipe, makes about 10 beautiful fluffy hotcakes
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 bananas, ripe, mashed
- PECAN BUTTER;.
- Beat butter and honey together until smooth, stir in pecans then chill until needed.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and half a teaspoon of salt into a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the milk, egg, butter and lemon juice and pour into the well.
- Add the mashed banana then whisk until combined.
- Some lumps are fine, and batter should be just slightly thicker than pouring cream. Add more milk if needed to get it to this consistency.
- Let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat a good frypan over medium heat with a light greasing of butter.
- Ladle batter ( approx 1/4 cupfuls) into pan and cook until top bubbles and base lightly browned.
- Flip and cook a further 45-60 seconds.
- Keep warm in a low oven while you repeat process with remaining batter.
- Serve the hotcakes with a drizzle of maple syrup, and a splodge of pecan butter.
- Also goes beautifully with good yoghurt and slivered almonds.