Shannon Holmes's Note:
Mark's favorite muffin recipe to date. These are based on a recipe that I found on the back of a Kroger Blueberry Almond Cereal box and they are easily adaptable and deliciously moist. These can be made vegan, use soy yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup apple cinnamon granola cereal (I used Zoe's)
- 2 large bananas, mashed (this is 1 cup of puree)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons banana yogurt or 2 tablespoons soy yogurt
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Spray either 6 large muffin baking cup pan or 12 small muffin cups with cooking spray.
- 3Make the topping, combine flour, cinnamon and sugar, cutting in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, mix together the cereal, banana puree and applesauce.
- 5Set aside for 5 minutes, or until cereal is softened.
- 6Once cereal is soft, add the oil and vanilla.
- 7Stir together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 8Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture, stirring until combined, you will need to add the banana yogurt to make it not such a stiff dough.
- 9Divide the mixture to muffin cups evenly.
- 10Sprinkle the muffins evenly with the topping.
- 11Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- 12Place on cooling rack, cover with a tea towel for 5 minutes.
- 13After the five minutes, run a butter knife around the muffins, then remove very carefully, they are very soft and delicate.
- 14Cool completely, place in tupperware lined with a paper towel.
- 15Freeze after 1-2 days, wrapped in plastic wrap.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Granola Crumble Topped Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.1
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 465.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 24.0 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: