Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another gingerbread recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (sub for 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup banana, mashed (about 2 large)
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, banana, molasses, buttermilk and vegetable oil. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Made this today, and just had my first slice. It's a great moist bread, texture of banana bread but not a huge banana flavor. Also doesn't taste a whole lot like gingerbread--I appreciate the spices, but not a strong spice-y or molasses-y flavor. I'd definitely make it again though and try to tweak it a little bit, since the texture is great, it's light and it's great for using up those ripe bananas.
I found this recipe on bakingbites.com and it turned out so good I went to post it myself and here it was on Zarr already. I followed exactly, but I changed it to 2 cups of all purpose flour. This bread was very moist and had sweet banana-y flavor and a richer molasses-y one, just like it said would.