Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Two of my favorite things: gingerbread and bananas. How can you go wrong? The bananas keep the bread so moist. This is the perfect fall treat.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, molasses, and honey until smooth.
- Mix in the eggs one at a time. Mix in the sour cream and bananas.
- Stir in the dry ingredients just until blended.
- Place the batter in the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar or glaze.
It came out way too heavy for me and I definitely think it needs a lot more leavening than the self-rising flour provides. The taste is okay, but the texture is just so gooey/sticky that it's difficult to enjoy. I think I can make changes to the recipe to fix it, but as-is, it just doesn't make nearly as good of a quick bread as I generally make on my own.
Missing ginger. Smells absolutely lovely. But, it was too "spice"y for my family and I.
Where is the ginger? I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of powdered ginger, substituted 1/3 cup oil for the butter, and more molasses for the honey. I also used one cup each of unbleached and whole wheat flour, adding 2 teaspoons baking powder & about 1/2 teaspoon salt (had no self-rising flour) - and a good handful of raisins at the end - and now I have a loaf of delicious bread that is moist, spicy, not too sweet and not overwhelmingly banana-y - this is definitely my new banana bread recipe. Thank you!