Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great way to use up soft bananas. This nutritious and energy giving cake doesn't break up easily,making it good for the childrens packed lunch boxes.The parkin keeps really well in a covered container for up to two months.
- 1 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 3⁄4 cups medium oatmeal
- 4 tablespoons dark muscovado sugar
- 6 tablespoons sunflower margarine
- 2⁄3 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160/325/Gas 3.Grease and line an 18 x 28cm cake tin (7 x 11").
- Sift together the flour,bicarb of soda and ginger,then stir in the oatmeal.Melt the sugar,margarine and syrup in a saucepan,then stir into the flour mixture.Beat in the egg and mashed bananas.
- Spoon into the tin and bake for about 1 hour or until firm to the touch.Cool in the tin,turn out and cut into squares.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in just enough water to make a smooth,runny icing.Drizzle the icing over each square.
Not overly sweet which I like. I tried a piece before icing it and I really didn't taste the ginger, so, I added 1 1/2 tsp ginger to the icing mix. I made my "drizzle" a bit too thin but it turned out nicely as it soaked in the cake. Thanks for sharing your recipe.