Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
by Chef Gerda Dehrmann
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup candied fruit
- 1⁄4 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add chopped nuts.
- Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs, bananas, and milk and combine well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just moistened. Gently told in the fruit and raisins.
- Pour into a lightly greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes until golden in colour and tests done with a toothpick.
- Freezes well.
I'm partial to fruit loaves, & this one is no exception ~ ABSOLUTELY GREAT! I had a very small bit of candied fruit still around but suplemented it with some chopped up dried fruit that I ALWAYS have on hand! So that, along with all the other fruit/nuts, made for a very tasty loaf, which, by the way, was baked in just under 43 minutes! Thanks for the keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed while touring South & Central America on the Zaar World Tour 4]
Make sure to cook this for 40 - 45 minutes- after 25 it is still very raw. I used candied ginger in place of the candied fruit and it gave it the most wonderful flavor when you bit into a piece of it and still let the banana flavor shine through. It didn't rise as much as I had hoped, but maybe that was my fault. All in all a nice bread. Made for ZWT 4 by a Jefe de la Cocina.
I omitted the nuts and raisin (DH's preference). I used candied pineapple. It took about 40-45 minutes to cook it. Thanks Evelyn. Made for the Babes of ZWT4