Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Anything with banana's is good and these fritters are really great. These are from Emeril's.com.
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- Place the oil in a 6-quart stockpot and bring to 350°F.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla and milk and whisk vigorously to blends.
- Gradually add the egg and milk mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the mashed bananas into the fritter dough and gently combine.
- Drop the fritter batter into the hot oil by the spoonful (about 1-1/2 tablespoons batter per spoonful).
- Fry the batter in batches, about 8-10 fritters at a time and cook for 3 minutes, turning once to evenly brown.
- Remove fritters from oil and drain on paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven while you continue to fry the remaining fritters.
- Once all the dough has been fried, leave the fritters in the oven while you make the glaze.
- Combine apricot and orange juice in a 1-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Continue to boil until the orange juice is reduced by about half and the jam starts to thicken, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the fritters from oven and arrange on a platter.
- Drizzle with the apricot glaze.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the glazed fritters and sprinkle with the confectioner's sugar.
- Serve immediately.