Recipe by Manami
This is from Sweet Simplicity: Jacques Pepin's Fruit Desserts. These are all he said it is and more! The batter becomes like a "tempura" batter because of the ice water. We added a large egg because it is included in the directions and not ingredients and it made sense. If there is anyone who can look it up for me, I would appreciate it. I copied the notes by hand, copy machine at library was broken, & I wasn't allowed to check the book out. We made these for the last night of Hanukah, there were a lot of over ripe bananas and went ahead and made the fritters. I had been saving this recipe for awhile - am glad I did.
Top Review by Codychop
I had an overripe banana so decided I'd try this out-- as I LOVE J. Pepin. He's my favorite chef, by far! Unfortunately these fritters came out waaaaay too greasy. I followed the recipe exactly and fried in hot oil, both batches were too oily to eat. They were gorgeous though and crispy, just sooo oily :(
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups ice water
- 1 cup about canola oil, for frying
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar or 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place flour, egg, and about 1/2 the water in a bowl.
- Mix with whisk for a few seconds, until the mix is smooth, and then whisk in the remaining water.
- To cook the fritters, take a large nonstick skillet and heat 1/3 cup of the oil to 400F(200C).
- Meanwhile, peel the bananas, and, holding them directly over the bowl containing the batter, cut them crosswise into 1/4" slices (let slices fall into batter).
- Make 3-4 fritters at a time - using about 1/3 cup batter for each pouring it into the hot oil.
- Spread mixture lightly as it hits the pan to create fritters about 3" in diameter.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, turn, and cook for 3-4 minutes on other side, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove fritters with slotted spoon and place them on wire rack to drain.
- Continue to make fritters, adding oil as needed, until all batter has been used.
- Sprinkle the drained fritters generously with sugar and serve as soon as possible.