Prep 7 mins
Cook 8 mins
I found this in the new "Taste of Home" cookbook. It was originally submitted by Heidi Duquette or Morrisonville, NY, who says: "Try this for a fun twist on a banana split. My family especially enjoys it on a warm summer night."
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage
- oil, for deep-fat frying
- 4 large firm bananas, cut into quarters
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- chopped pecans (optional)
- Place flour in a small bowl.
- Combine egg and soda; stir into flour just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil to 375.
- Coat banana pieces with batter.
- Fry bananas, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Drizzle with caramel topping.
- Serve with ice cream, whipped cream and pecans, if desired.