Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
DECADENT...........I make this for my husband when I want something!! The recipe comes from Linda Haynes at the Ace Bakery.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange, zest
- 2 slices day-old white bread, 1-1/2 to 2 ",thick
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, spices and orange zest.
- Slice bread in half horizontally without cutting all the way through the whole slice of bread.
- Stuff each pocket with half the mashed banana.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Melt butter to cover bottom of pan.
- Dip bread slices into egg mixture, generously coating each piece.
- Place in the skillet and fry until browned.
- Flip over and brown other side.
- Remove from pan and place in oven for 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Remove French toast from oven.
- Cut each piece of French toast on the diagonal and drizzle melted semisweet chocolate over them.
- Dust French toast with icing sugar and serve with orange slices as garnish or serve with a fresh fruit salad.
Just way too good Marg! I made your French toast this morning for my son and myself. I melted the chocolate in the microwave with a bit of butter. This is a bit time consuming but well worth to make, it is simply delicious! thanks for another winner...Kitten:)