Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great recipe from Southern Living Christmas at Home magazine. This recipe uses a white cake mix, make the cake according to the box instructions, but add mashed bananas and ginger to the mix...the computer gave me a hard time with the whole cake mix thing...
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) size white cake mix, any brand
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 3 small)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup rum, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium ripe bananas, sliced
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) box instant vanilla flavor pudding and pie filling
- 2 cups milk
Cream cheese Topping
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (1 ounce) semisweet chocolate, baking square grated
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions,(the 1 1/3 cup water, 3 T. oil, 3 large eggs, adding mashed bananas and ginger to the mix. Pour mixture into a lightly greased and floured 13 X 9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Brush cake with 1/4 cup rum. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Crumble into 2 inch chunks.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add dark brown sugar and cinnamon, and cook 1 minute. Add sliced bananas, and cook, stirring constrantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until bananas are tender. Remove from heat, and pour remaining 1/4 cup rum over banana mixture. Pour mixture into a large bowl. Let cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Prepare pudding mix as directed, using 2 cups milk; stir into banana mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours.
- Place half of banana cake chunks in a large trifle dish. Spread half of pudding mixture over cake. Top with half of Cream Cheese Topping. Repeat layers once. Sprinkle with grated chocolate.
- To make Cream Cheese Topping:.
- Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixture until smooth. Stir in whipped topping until well blended.
Made this for New Year's Eve but bananas weren't quite ripe enough. Make sure you use ripe bananas! The rum in this was noticeable but subtle. (I used a bit more on the cake)Would benefit from addition of candied ginger I think. I used real whipped cream with a bit of rum and powdered sugar whipped in. Upped the decadence factor. Also topped with grated white chocolate and toffee bits. Everyone liked it, flavour was nice, just the unripe bananas were a disappointment.