Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
No they are not really enchiladas, but chocolate crepes filled with a banana rum filling and are sensational.***ADOPTED 9/15/06***
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons meyer rum
- 4 ripe bananas, chopped (not too speckled or black)
- 2 ounces white chocolate, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 6 large strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 sprig mint (to garnish)
- For the crepes: whisk together all of the dry ingredients, then whisk together all of the wet ingredients.
- Whisk wet ingredients into dry ingredients until a batter is formed.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and spray with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of crepe batter into the pan, lifting and tilting the pan to quickly coat the bottom with the batter.
- Place the pan back on the heat for about 45 seconds to 1 minute and cook undisturbed until the batter looks dry.
- Using a spatula, loosen one side of the crepe and carefully lift the crepe out of the pan with your fingers and flip over.
- Cook 1 minute more and remove from the pan to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining batter, stacking the crepes on the plate.
- When finished crepes are cool, cover with plastic wrap until ready to use.
- To make the filling: Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rum and chopped bananas, gently stirring to incorporate.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- To assemble enchiladas: Place one crepe on work surface, spoon 3-4 Tbl of the filling down the center and loosely roll like an enchilada.
- Repeat until all crepes are filled.
- Plate crepes and drizzle with chocolate sauce (Recipe #68358) then garnish with white chocolate shavings and strawberries.
We loved the thin, dark chocolate crêpes (yes, it is a recipe for crêpes) but did think the rum banana filling was overpowering and would rather serve the crëpes with fresh bananas and cream and serve the rum bananas with cream or ice cream, without any crêpes.