Recipe by HeatherFeather
I copied this recipe down ages ago, always meaning to give it a try. I found it today in one of my piles of recipes and decided to share it. This is not a sweet bread. Supposedly, this recipe is from Liberia.
Top Review by not_quite_right89
I have made this recipe a few times to use up a lot of farina. This isn't sweet so it's good for a breakfast/snack thing. I wouldn't use more than 1/2 cup of oil in this. The first time I made it I used 3/4 cup of oil and it was quite oily and unnecessary. I've thrown some frozen blueberries in it one time and that added a nice change to it.
- 2 cups farina or 2 cups cream of wheat
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix together eggs, oil, and water, then add along with the mashed bananas to the dry mixture.
- Sutr just enough to moisten all ingredients, but do not overmix.
- Pour into a greased 9x13" baking pan in a preheated 350 F oven for about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool.
- Cut into squares and serve.