Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Getting tired of fruit chaat for your Iftari? Need to whip up something fried quickly for a friend? Banana Dumplings to the resuce.
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced in thick circular pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Peel and slice your bananas in small pieces.
- In a bowl, mix flour, milk, sugar, beaten egg, baking powder and oil as directed.
- Mix well until you get a thick mixture.
- Slide all your chopped banana pieces into this mixture.
- Take a deep frying saucepan or wok. Make sure you heat about half a cup of oil to the saucepan so the dumplings fry well.
- Keep the stove on medium to high heat.
- Using a tablespoon or wooden spoon, pick each banana piece from the bowl and pour directly into the hot oil. A little bit of the mixture will spread around the banana piece and that's good.
- Turn each dumpling after 1-2 minutes of deep frying so both sides are done well.
- As soon as the dumplings are golden brown, drain them on paper towel and serve hot with tea or coffee!
This was a nice mid morning snack. I added a pinch of salt and about 1/8th teaspoon vanilla extract to the batter. Before serving I dusted them with powdered sugar.
My husband made me these for Mother's day - super yummy!!!! He said it was easy to make w/ the kids (minus the frying part!)
xcellent tanx for posting