Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe came from Simon Rimmer or Greens vegetarian restaurant in Manchester. This is the original recipe but as I am trying to watch my weight I use 4 sprays of cooking oil rather than 2 tablespoons and leave out the fried plantain which brings it to about 230 calories per serving and 1.2g fat. Its wonderfully warm and comforting and just needs to be served with some chapattis or naan bread.
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 225 g red lentils, washed and drained
- 700 ml vegetable stock, warmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- salt and pepper
- 4 firm bananas, sliced or 4 plantains, sliced and fried
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger in the oil over a gentle heat for approx ten minutes until golden.
- Add the turmeric and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Add the lentils and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the warmed stock and bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spices and seasoning and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- If using banana or plantain add it a coupe of minutes before serving to allow to warm through.
- Serve with warm chapattis or naan bread.