This recipe came from Simon Rimmer or Greens vegetarian restaurant in Manchester. This is the original recipe but as I am trying to watch my weight I use 4 sprays of cooking oil rather than 2 tablespoons and leave out the fried plantain which brings it to about 230 calories per serving and 1.2g fat. Its wonderfully warm and comforting and just needs to be served with some chapattis or naan bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 225 g red lentils, washed and drained
- 700 ml vegetable stock, warmed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- salt and pepper
- 4 firm bananas, sliced or 4 plantains, sliced and fried
- 1Fry the onion, garlic and ginger in the oil over a gentle heat for approx ten minutes until golden.
- 2Add the turmeric and fry for a further 1 minute.
- 3Add the lentils and fry for 2 minutes.
- 4Add the warmed stock and bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- 5Add the spices and seasoning and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- 6If using banana or plantain add it a coupe of minutes before serving to allow to warm through.
- 7Serve with warm chapattis or naan bread.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Dahl
Serving Size: 1 (213 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.0
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 15.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: