Recipe by TGirl,RN
This is a basic custard recipe with sliced bananas folded in just before serving.
Top Review by rodney h.
This is the stuff Grandma made for you when you were a kid, if you're lucky. I subbed 1/2 cup half and half for equal part or the milk, and instead of using vanilla I mashed up a banana and ended up with the best ever banana pudding. I plan on trying this with pineapple juice for part of the milk as well.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana, sliced
- of fresh mint (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan.
- Over medium heat, slowly add milk, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Temper egg yolks by adding a small amount of hot liquid, then return all to the saucepan.
- Cook until thickened, then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and chill custard for 1 hour.
- Just before serving, fold in banana slices.
- Garnish with mint if desired.