Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From *The Essential Caribbean Cookbook* edited by Heather Thomas, I found this unique recipe intriguing but admit its combo of sweet & savory flavors gave it a bit of an "identity crisis" for me. Since it was in the *Vegetables* section of the cookbook, I decided its intent was to be a side-dish to a meat main-course of choice. I am not at all familiar w/vegetarian cooking & uncertain if it qualifies for it, but it also seems hearty enough to also be considered a vegetarian main-course as well. *Enjoy* !
- Melt butter in a lrg saucepan. Add onion & saute gently over low-heat till softened & translucent, but not carmelized.
- Soak the raisins in a sml amt of hot water for 2-3 min to plump them. Drain & add to the onion mixture w/the apple & salt. Stir in the flour + curry powder & cook for 3-4 min, stirring.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat & gradually stir in the coconut milk & water a little at a time. Return to the heat & cook gently, stirring till thickened.
- Add bananas & continue cooking gently over low heat for about 6-7 minutes. Add the eggs to the curry, just to heat through. Serve immediately w/boiled rice & a sml dish of mango chutney.
- *Note Re Servings* ~ I entered this recipe as a 6 serving side-dish per its intent, but it seems likely 4 servings would be more realistic if served as a main-course.