Recipe by echo echo
Indescribably delicious. Believe it or not, it's adapted from Rosie Daley's The Healthy Kitchen, her book with Andrew Weil, changed very slightly. I think it's healthy more for it's high-fiber ingredients than for being nonfattening. It's a great way to use those naughty boys Bananas Gone Bad. She says you can actually make this using just a wooden spoon and a whisk, but you have to be careful that nothing--including the sugar--is left lumpy and clumpy so I just use an electric mixer. The original recipe said walnuts but I use pecans; actually I'd say the nuts are optional. In the glaze, I also use more of the orange zest than the original recipe (which says 1/2 tsp) and I grate it on one size larger hole size on the grater than is usual. Instead of cupcakes, you can cook 1 big cake in an ordinary loaf pan, but let it bake 45 minutes instead of 20.
- 4 ripe bananas, thoroughly mashed
- 1⁄2 large carrots or 1⁄2 zucchini, grated
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened at room temp
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran or 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves (or pumpkin spice)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, thoroughly mix together the mashed bananas and grated carrot or zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the softened butter through vanilla with an electric mixer.
- Combine flour through ginger and mix into the butter mixture with your mixer on low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Add the banana mixture and chopped nuts and stir with large wooden spoon until completely blended into batter.
- Spray 12 standard sized cupcake/muffin pan cups or 12 baby bundt pans with nonstick cooking spray, making sure to coat thoroughly. Divide the batter among the cups.
- Bake at 375°F about 20 minutes (until they pass the clean toothpick test).
- Remove from pans and let cool before glazing.
- Glaze: Whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth and thick.
- Use about 1 Tbs glaze per cupcake (using about 3/4 cup in all) or more on the baby bundts since you're coating all sides, not just the top.