Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Yummy and different banana pie made like Dutch apple pie with a brown sugar crumb topping. Make it easy by using a prepared refrigerated pie crust.
- 6 cups sliced bananas (about 6 bananas)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- unbaked pie shell (can use refrigerated)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine bananas and lemon juice and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour, sugar, butter and nuts and set aside.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and add to bananas.
- Pour into pie shell and sprinkle flour mixture on top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
The topping was too much ingredients - try cutting back to about half of suggested if using a store bought pie crust shell. Way more than 20 minutes to prep, and make sure you have 3 bowls ready - a lot of mixing going on here. Used a deep dish crust, and the oven was a mess as it did rise over the top and onto the bottom. Somehow I believe this recipe is for 2 pies????
This was defferent from the pies that I usually make. I had bananas that I needed to use up and I didn't want to make bread so I tried this. The recipe didn't say if you used really ripe bananas or firm ones. Mine were really ripe. I didn't add the nuts so my pie didn't have the "crunch" but it was still good. My oldest daughter would eat the entire thing if I let her!!I used a deep dish pie plate and I would recommend using one b/c the pie puffed up quite a bit during baking.It settled back back as it cooled though. This is a definate use-up-your-bananas alternative to bread!! Very good!