Recipe by Karyl Lee
This is an adaptation of a regular cookbook recipe for a banana bran muffin. I changed several things, writing it down as I made the changes. Customers loved them!
Top Review by Yola
I have been searching for a good low sugar, no wheat muffin recipe - and here it is!! I didn't have enough bananas, so added 1 cup of apple sauce as a substitute. I used no sugar Cornflakes (hard to find!) instead of chex. As well, I added chopped up prunes instead of raisins. Overall, a delicious and healthy recipe! Thanks!
- 3 cups pureed fresh bananas
- 1 1⁄2 cups light vanilla soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk lite
- 2 cups crushed Corn Chex or 2 cups Rice Chex
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1⁄4 cup grapeseed oil
- 2⁄3 cup thompson raisins
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 3 cups spelt flour
- 1⁄4 cup natural unbleached cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- poppy seed, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Puree' the bananas and mix with the soymilk, crushed cereal, cane sugar,oil and raisins in one fairly large bowl.
- (If you use unsweetened cereal this will be very low sugar.) Let this all stand for 5 minutes while you oil or grease your pans, and sift the flour mixture.
- Sift flour, powder, soda, and salt together with spices.
- Combine dry with wet mixture, being sure there are no powdery spots.
- Fill the tins* mounding over top and add poppy seeds if desired.
- This is fluffy but not runny batter* (it needs to be for 12 LARGE muffins)* Set oven to 375F.
- Bake muffins for approximately 25 minutes, checking them with a toothpick.
- Let cool briefly in the pan.
- If refrigerated or frozen and individually wrapped,they will last a few weeks at a minimum, except for the eating habits of the consumers!