Prep 0 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking cookbook. The cake is in the realm of a coffee cake. We thought it was better a day after making it. You can buy oat flour or use a food processor to turn 1 1/4 cup oats into 1 cup oat flour. Enjoy!
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or 1 cup traditional flour or 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar or 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, tightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt (non fat to full fat is fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional) or 1 cup toffee pieces (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar or 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- Grease and flour an 8-inch-square pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- For cake batter: Whisk flours, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl between eggs. Mix half the dry ingredients until moistened, then mix in bananas, yogurt and vanilla. Scrape the bowl down again before adding the remaining dry ingredients and nuts and chips (if using). Mix until everything is evenly moistened. Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- For topping: Combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a small mixing bowl until well blended. Stir in melted butter until large crumbs form. Stir in chopped nuts. Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.
- Bake until the edges pull away from the pan and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Remove cake from the oven and place on a rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
This coffee cake is delicious and has substance to it so you're not hungry soon after eating it. We made it for a brunch and our guests could not get enough of it. It freezes and thaws well.