This is a refrigerated cake--all my favorite cakes are. I got this recipe out of an old recipe box at a yard sale, along with some old Watts apple bowls. If you like bananas, you will like this cake.
- Mix, bake, and cool cake as directed on the label.
- Cook vanilla pudding with the 1 3/4 cups of milk. Cool to room temperature.
- Place cake wider side down on a serving plate.
- Slice a 1-inch layer from the top and set aside.
- Cut around cake 1 inch from the outer edge to 1 inch from bottom.
- Then cut around cake 1 inch from inner edge to 1 inch from bottom. Do not make cutout too large.
- Gently remove the cake between the cuts; tear it into small pieces and fold them into the pudding.
- Fold in diced bananas; pour into cake shell.
- Replace top of cake.
- Whip cream until stiff; fold in the sugar and vanilla. Spread over the sides and top of cake.
- Put banana slices on top of cake if you desire.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator.