Just Call Me Martha's Note:
I found this is in a "cooking with rum" article by the LCBO. I haven't tried it, but it looks absolutely decadent, so I couldn't resist posting it. Prep time is a guess.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups milk
- 1 vanilla beans, split or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 bananas, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups crushed ginger snaps
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1To make custard, bring milk to a boil over medium heat.
- 2If using vanilla bean, add it, cover the pan and leave over low heat to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- 3Alternatively, add vanilla extract after milk boils.
- 4Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks with sugar until creamy.
- 5Whisk in flour.
- 6Mix until well blended.
- 7Strain milk, stirring gradually into egg yolk mixture.
- 8Beat together.
- 9Return mixture to a clean pot.
- 10Bring to boil, stirring constantly.
- 11If lumps form as it thickens, whisk until custard is smooth.
- 12Bring to boil and then simmer 1 minute.
- 13Cool to room temperature and put plastic wrap on top of custard to that a skin doesn't form.
- 14For caramel sauce, combine water and sugar in small, heavy, deep pot.
- 15Place over high heat.
- 16Boil, without stirring, until golden caramel colour (About 7 minutes).
- 17Remove from heat and immediately stir in cream and rum carefully because mixture will bubble up.
- 18Set aside to cool.
- 19Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 20Combine crushed cookies and butter and pat into 9" pie plate.
- 21Bake 10 minutes and cool.
- 22To assemble: Combine bananas, rum and sugar.
- 23When custard is cold, fold bananas into it.
- 24Spoon into ginger crust.
- 25Serve drizzed with caramel sauce.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cream Pie with Rum Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 670.0
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 188.3 mg
- Sodium 480.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 104.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 57.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: