1 hr 15 mins
An extravagant, up-scale version of banana cream pie. You could make your life simpler and make one 9 inch pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely ground macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch, plus
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cold whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350F.
- 2Oil a large baking sheet.
- 3Arrange eight 3-inch-diameter hinged ring molds on the baking sheet.
- 4Combine the graham cracker crumbs, nuts, melted butter and sugar in a bowl; mix until well blended.
- 5Pat the crumb mixture into the ring molds.
- 6Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.
- 7Let cool, leaving the ring molds in place.
- 8To make the sauce: Place the sugar in a small heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat and stir constantly until it melts and turns golden brown.
- 9Do not let the sugar burn.
- 10Carefully add the coconut milk, stirring vigorously.
- 11Cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- 12Set aside.
- 13To make the custard: Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan.
- 14Whisk in the milk until the mixture is completely smooth.
- 15Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and stir until the mixture is warm.
- 16Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl until blended.
- 17Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks.
- 18Then pour the egg mixture back into the milk mixture.
- 19Cook for about 10 minutes, whisking vigorously, until the custard is quite thick.
- 20Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, vanilla and coconut extracts.
- 21Pour the custard into a bowl and press plastic wrap directly onto the surface.
- 22Let cool completely.
- 23To make the topping: Beat the cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form.
- 24Fold 1/3 cup of the whipped cream into the cooled custard.
- 25Beat the powdered sugar into the remaining whipped cream.
- 26To serve: Slide a spatula under each ring mold and move each to a serving plate.
- 27Inside the rings, alternate layers of bananas and custard, finishing with the custard on the top.
- 28Carefully unhinge and remove the rings.
- 29Spoon the coconut caramel sauce around and over each custard.
- 30Garnish with the sweetened whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cream Pie with Coconut Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.2
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 129.5 mg
- Sodium 209.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 121.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 102.9 g
- Protein 7.0 g