Recipe by Mirj
My kids used to call this Naner Pie when they were little.
Top Review by taraluvsspicy82
What a yummy pie!! This was my first time making "real" banana cream pie. Previously had only tried the pudding/cool whip kind. This was so easy and sooo tasty! I loved the bittersweet chocolate in there, really makes this a stand-out.
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely grated
FOR THE CUSTARD
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE TOPPING
- 2 large bananas, ripe
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chocolate-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh nutmeg, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees .
- Put the pie shell on a cookie sheet and scatter the chocolate in the shell.
- To make the custard, mix together the eggs, sugar, cream, and vanilla .
- Pour into the pastry shell and carefully put it in the oven .
- Bake until the custard is nearly set in the middle, about 40 minutes .
- Let the custard cool, then cover and chill .
- Right before serving, peel and slice the bananas, and toss them with the orange juice and chocolate liqueur .
- Spread the slices on the custard .
- Whip the heavy cream, sweeten it with confectioner's sugar, and flavor with vanilla .
- Spread the cream over the bananas, dust with .
- nutmeg, and chill until serving time .
- Don't let the completed pie wait long .