Recipe by erinn in tbay
This is not low fat! that's why it tastes so good! I have searched for the ultimate banana cream pie recipe and have finally found it. I know you will agree!
Top Review by vbak
This what I was looking for ! My die hard banana cream lovers want unadulterated banana cream pie. Don't add any extras. I did one thing differently from your recipe and this applies to all cream pies. I separate my eggs, beat them, then add them to the milk, cornstarch, salt, and sugar mixture. Voila! No scrambled eggs with your pie! I make a chocolate pie from this site and that is what is recommended for that recipe. It worked for the banana cream, so I'm sure it would work for all cream pies.
- 2 -3 bananas
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup cream
- 1 prebaked pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bananas and sprinkle lightly with lemon juice.
- To make custard: In saucepan, stir sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add milk and whisk until smooth.
- Turn on heat to medium.
- Stir constantly until mixture boils.
- Let boil 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Mix 1/8 cup of hot milk mixture into egg yolks.
- Add another 1/8 cup of mixture.
- Add yolk mixture to hot milk mixture in pot and return to heat.
- Mix well until custard bubbles, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla.
- Smear 2-3 tbsp custard over bottom of pie shell.
- Layer sliced bananas over bottom and top with custard.
- Refrigerate 3 hours and top with whipped cream.