1/1 Photo of Banana Cream Pie
I saw this made on Martha Stewart and knew I needed to have this where I could find it! I love this pie!!! It is absolutely delicious! ***Time does not include refrigeration of 2 or more hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a 14-inch round (1/4 inch thick). Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim dough to extend above edges by 1 inch, fold under, and crimp. Prick bottom with a fork, and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Cut a large round of parchment paper (about 11 inches), and place in pie shell, allowing excess to extend above edges. Fill with pie weights. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- 2Bake crust 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Remove pie weights and parchment, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack.
- 3Make the filling: Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add egg yolks, and whisk until smooth. Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup milk to yolk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour mixture into pan with hot milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and is very thick, about 6 minutes.
- 4Pour milk mixture through a large-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add butter, and stir until melted. Fold in bananas. Pour into crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- 5Make the topping: Beat together cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over filling. Using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, shape topping into peaks.
- 6Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate at a 45-degree angle, and scatter over pie. (You will only need about 1 ounce of chocolate for the shavings, but it will be easier to shave if you start with a larger piece than you need.) Serve.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.3
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 179.7 mg
- Sodium 236.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 6.1 g