Recipe by kittycatmom
I saw this made on Martha Stewart and knew I needed to have this where I could find it! I love this pie!!! It is absolutely delicious! ***Time does not include refrigeration of 2 or more hours.
Top Review by Bay Laurel
wow!! this was perfect! I will forever use this banana cream pie recipe.For the crust I used Recipe #374605 . Adding the chocolate to the top made all the difference. I made this for My-3-Chefs November 2009. Thanks for sharing kittycatmom!!
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough into a 14-inch round (1/4 inch thick). Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim dough to extend above edges by 1 inch, fold under, and crimp. Prick bottom with a fork, and freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Cut a large round of parchment paper (about 11 inches), and place in pie shell, allowing excess to extend above edges. Fill with pie weights. Freeze until cold, about 10 minutes.
- Bake crust 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees. Remove pie weights and parchment, and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Let cool on a wire rack.
- Make the filling: Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Add egg yolks, and whisk until smooth. Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup milk to yolk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly. Pour mixture into pan with hot milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and is very thick, about 6 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture through a large-mesh sieve into a bowl. Add butter, and stir until melted. Fold in bananas. Pour into crust. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Make the topping: Beat together cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream over filling. Using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, shape topping into peaks.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate at a 45-degree angle, and scatter over pie. (You will only need about 1 ounce of chocolate for the shavings, but it will be easier to shave if you start with a larger piece than you need.) Serve.