Recipe by Dejah
My father made this pie from scratch for over 40 years in his restaurant. It was a favorite then and is a favorite still! His memory lives on with this recipe.
Top Review by PAT COWDEN
Excellent recipe! I did add an extra 1 Tbls of cornstarch to make it thicker as another reviewer stated. This recipe made a lot! I ended up with enough for a 9" pie and a small casserole dish of banana pudding! I think I will try to halve the recipe next time. Everyone loved it. I will definitely make again!
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups cold milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 bananas, sliced diagonally
Directions See How It's Made
- ingredients for 10" BAKED pie shell.
- MIX cornstarch, sugar, salt.
- ADD to COLD milk in a medium size saucepan.
- STIR to dissolve.
- Cook mixture over MEDIUM heat (Stir constantly to prevent scorching) until bubbly.
- Pour 1/4 of the hot mixture into beaten eggs.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Continue cooking until mixture comes back to"bubbling" and is thick.
- Blend in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half of the mixture into 10" baked pie shell.
- Cover the top with sliced bananas.
- Pour remainder of the mixture on top of the bananas.
- Let the filling cool-- then refrigerate until firm.
- Top the pie with sweetened whipped cream and serve!