Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
My father made this pie from scratch for over 40 years in his restaurant. It was a favorite then and is a favorite still! His memory lives on with this recipe.
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups cold milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 bananas, sliced diagonally
- ingredients for 10" BAKED pie shell.
- MIX cornstarch, sugar, salt.
- ADD to COLD milk in a medium size saucepan.
- STIR to dissolve.
- Cook mixture over MEDIUM heat (Stir constantly to prevent scorching) until bubbly.
- Pour 1/4 of the hot mixture into beaten eggs.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Return mixture to the saucepan.
- Continue cooking until mixture comes back to"bubbling" and is thick.
- Blend in butter and vanilla.
- Pour half of the mixture into 10" baked pie shell.
- Cover the top with sliced bananas.
- Pour remainder of the mixture on top of the bananas.
- Let the filling cool-- then refrigerate until firm.
- Top the pie with sweetened whipped cream and serve!
Excellent recipe! I did add an extra 1 Tbls of cornstarch to make it thicker as another reviewer stated. This recipe made a lot! I ended up with enough for a 9" pie and a small casserole dish of banana pudding! I think I will try to halve the recipe next time. Everyone loved it. I will definitely make again!
This is a wonderful recipe! It's very easy to follow and took very little time to make. I did add a little extra cornstarch (heaping rather than level tablespoons) and I layered some bananas in the pie crust before the first layer of pudding but other than that it turned out amazing! It definitely tastes like the pies you get in restaurants. I used a premade gluten free crust and it was delish. This is a great gluten free recipe.
Yum! I cut the recipe in half for a 9-inch pie crust and it was perfect. However, I did use all three bananas. Thanks for posting!