Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Home made crust, fresh bananas, nothin' better..Also, to cut on time, you can use a ready made crust-or no crust at all and just enjoy the filling as banana pudding.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- whipped cream (optional)
- slivered almonds (optional)
- For crust, beat together butter and shortening until smooth and creamy, chill until firm.
- sift together the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using a fork, cut the butter and shortening into the dry mixture until it has a consistent texture.
- Mix egg yolk, ice water and vinegar into the dough, then form into a ball and refridgerate for and hour or so to make it easier to work with.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. When dough has chilled, roll out and press into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Use a pie weight or line the dough with aluminum foil or parchment paper or another pie plate and fill with dried beans to use as weight-this will prevent the crust from puffing up. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove weight and prick the crust with a fork to allow steam to escape. Bake another 5-10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the filling by sifting together the sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium saucepan.
- Blend the milk, eggs and butter in a medium bowl, then add the mixture to the dry ingredients and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly for 6-8 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens, then cook for one minute more.
- Remove the filling from the heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Put plastic wrap on the surface of the filling and let it cool to room temperature. the plastic wrap prevents the top of the filling from getting gummy.
- When the filling has cooled, remove the plastic wrap and add sliced bananas. Stir.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill for a couple hours before serving.
- If preferred, serve each slice with whipped cream and almonds.