Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Taste of home recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 pastry shells, baked (9 inches)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Slice the bananas into pastry shell; pour the custard over top. Spread with whipped cream; sprinkle with almonds. Chill for 6-8 hours or overnight. Refrigerate leftovers.