From the blog : How to Simplify
Make and share this Banana Cream Cheese Muffins With Crumb Topping recipe from Food.com.
For the muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
For the crumb topping
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and then beat together the bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine banana mixture with the flour mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (leave a little batter to top the cream cheese filling).
- Create the cream cheese filling by mixing together all three of the ingredients. Pour a tablespoonful onto the batter in the muffin cups. Top the cream cheese with the remaining muffin batter.
- Create the topping: use a fork and mix together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
These are terrific muffins. They are a little labor intensive since you need to put together 3 components; the muffin batter, the cream cheese filling and then crumb topping. The recipe says prep time is 10 minutes but for me it was closer to 20 minutes.
I followed the recipe on these exactly with one little exception which I think really made a huge difference. I added 1/2 a box of banana cream pudding to the cream cheese mixture (which thickened it up perfectly, in fact could also use the left over as a topping if you skip the crumbs) I then added the other half of the box to the flour mixture and it made them so deliciously banana flavored and moist. Other than that I followed directions and my family gobbled them down in no time.
The flavor of these muffins are great. You should use 4 medium bananas.The only problem is that the cream cheese filling when mixed is extremely watery. You pour the tablespoon over and then top with the rest of the batter. You can not spread the batter because the filling is so watery. You can not see the filling inside the muffin when baked, but, I suppose it adds flavor.