Recipe by Boomette
From the blog : How to Simplify
Top Review by Marie Nixon
These are terrific muffins. They are a little labor intensive since you need to put together 3 components; the muffin batter, the cream cheese filling and then crumb topping. The recipe says prep time is 10 minutes but for me it was closer to 20 minutes.
For the muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
For the crumb topping
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and then beat together the bananas, sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine banana mixture with the flour mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups (leave a little batter to top the cream cheese filling).
- Create the cream cheese filling by mixing together all three of the ingredients. Pour a tablespoonful onto the batter in the muffin cups. Top the cream cheese with the remaining muffin batter.
- Create the topping: use a fork and mix together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.