Recipe by 4Susan
Serve as a side, snack or appetizer. Savory, smoky and slightly sweet - plus only 30 minutes start to finish! From my local newspaper which always publishes the greatest recipes! *Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. The ground chipotle used in this recipe can be found in the Mexican/Spanish food section of your supermarket - or possibly in the spice section. This would make a great vegetarian meal served with black bean soup, coleslaw or crusty whole-grain bread.
Top Review by WI Cheesehead
This was easy to make, but didn't seem to need the last step of cooking in the oven. They didn't puff up any more than they had in the pan. Used w.w. pastry flour and didn't add chile or cayenne (made for kids for lunch) and still didn't go over well with the kids. :(
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 1⁄4 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a medium bowl;*Use only the 1/4 t chipotle if you don't want much heat; using cayenne will not give the same smoky flavor.
- In another medium bowl mix the banana, egg and milk; stir in the cornmeal mixture just until mixed (don't overdo).
- Heat 1 T oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then REDUCE heat to medium; Using about 2 T of batter, drop and space 5 fritters in the pan; Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to the baking sheet and using the remaining oil make the rest of the fritters - Be sure to CHECK AND ADJUST your heat to prevent burning.
- Place the baking sheet with all the fritters into the oven and bake till they PUFF and get firm to touch, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- *To make these to serve later: complete the baking, refrigerate and reheat at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
- *To use as an appetizer, top with creme fraiche. Yummy!