Serve as a side, snack or appetizer. Savory, smoky and slightly sweet - plus only 30 minutes start to finish! From my local newspaper which always publishes the greatest recipes! *Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. The ground chipotle used in this recipe can be found in the Mexican/Spanish food section of your supermarket - or possibly in the spice section. This would make a great vegetarian meal served with black bean soup, coleslaw or crusty whole-grain bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper (or cayenne pepper)
- 1 1/4 cups bananas, mashed (about 3 medium)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F, and coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2Whisk dry ingredients in a medium bowl;*Use only the 1/4 t chipotle if you don't want much heat; using cayenne will not give the same smoky flavor.
- 3In another medium bowl mix the banana, egg and milk; stir in the cornmeal mixture just until mixed (don't overdo).
- 4Heat 1 T oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, then REDUCE heat to medium; Using about 2 T of batter, drop and space 5 fritters in the pan; Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side.
- 5Transfer to the baking sheet and using the remaining oil make the rest of the fritters - Be sure to CHECK AND ADJUST your heat to prevent burning.
- 6Place the baking sheet with all the fritters into the oven and bake till they PUFF and get firm to touch, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 7*To make these to serve later: complete the baking, refrigerate and reheat at 350°F for 15-20 minutes.
- 8*To use as an appetizer, top with creme fraiche. Yummy!
Browse Our Top Bananas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Banana Corn Fritters
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.5
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 329.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 4.6 g